It’s National Taco Day! Are you eating tacos today? Need some dinner inspiration? You’ve come to the right place. Now I know tacos are usually considered Mexican food but today, I am bringing you a recipe for Asian tacos with a spicy slaw. It’s a tasty umami flavored and I think you’ll love it.
First you need to marinate your flank steak. I used ginger paste, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, and brown sugar. You will need about half a cup of soy sauce with 1-2 tablespoons of the other ingredients. Mix it well and then put your steak and marinade into a plastic baggie and marinade for at least 2 hours. Place a piece of parchment paper (makes for easy clean up!) on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before cutting it on the bias.
While your steak is cooking, make your slaw. I used the bag of premade slaw vegetables and then made my marinade. My marinade has sesame oil, ponzu, chili garlic sauce, and rice wine vinegar. Ponzu makes the base of this marinade, a quarter of a cup, with 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil and rice wine vinegar, add the chili garlic sauce to your taste. Fry up some corn tortillas and then stuff them with the steak and slaw. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.
Asian Tacos with a Spicy Slaw
- 1 flank steak
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1-2 Tbs ginger paste
- 1-2 Tbs sesame oil
- 1-2 Tbs oyster sauce (gluten free version aff link)
- 1 baggie premade coleslaw blend
- 1/4 cup ponzu sauce (gluten free version aff link)
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- 1 Tbs rice wine vinegar
- garlic chili sauce to taste
- Corn tortillas
- Oil for frying
- Green onions
- Sesame seeds
- Make the steak marinade and marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven for 350 degrees, place a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Bake steak for 20-25 minutes until steak is done to your liking.
- Make the slaw marinade and combine with coleslaw.
- Remove steak from oven and allow it to rest for 5 minutes. Fry up some corn tortillas.
- Place your steak in the tortillas and top with the spicy slaw. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
Are you eating tacos today? What’s your favorite way to eat them?