Well friends, we made it! It’s Good Friday and I have one last meat free meal to share with you. This week, it’s honey smoked salmon burgers. These are similar to crab cakes but you make them sandwich size. I got Hubs some dinner rolls but since I couldn’t find any gluten free ones, I used a bagel. I also used honey smoked salmon from Sam’s Club which we love. Since I was feeding a small army, I picked up 2 packages.
You also need almond flour, green onions, 2 eggs, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. The first thing you need to do is shred the salmon. The one I had comes with skin still on, which is discarded, and then I used a fork to shred up the salmon before mixing in the rest of the ingredients. Make patties that are about as big as your palm and get ready to fry them in a skillet.
Melt some butter in the skillet and place the patties in the pan. Cook them for 5-7 minutes and then flip. You want a crispy crust but if you flip too soon, the patty will fall apart. While my patties cooked, I mixed half an avocado, some onion powder, and some sour cream in a food processor to make an avocado spread for the sandwiches. Once all the burgers are done, serve immediately.
Honey Smoked Salmon Burgers
- 2 packages of honey smoked salmon
- 2 Tbs green onion
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup almond powder
- 2 eggs
For the avocado spread:
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 Tbs sour cream
- 1 tbs onion powder
- Shred the salmon and mix in all the ingredients until well combined. Form the mixture into palm-sized patties and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat an iron skillet and melt butter into the pan. Add the patties and cook for 5-7 minutes until you can flip the patty without it falling apart.
- Cook the other side of the burger and serve immediately.
- To make the avocado spread, combine all ingredients in a food processor and spread over your bread.
Have you ever had a salmon burger? What’s your favorite way to enjoy smoked salmon?