For this week’s meat free meal, I decided to focus on the side dish. Salmon is easy to cook and easy to pair but sometimes we don’t know what to eat with it. I looked around our kitchen and found we had a ton of white beans and a ton of spinach. Bingo! I decided to just make the salmon in the oven and saute the beans and spinach. What turned out was an amazing meal so here we go!
First, I dried off my salmon and then seasoned it with a lemon pepper blend. I then heated up a skillet with some coconut oil and pan fried until the skin was crispy. Just stick the whole thing in the oven at 350 to finish off the fish!
When the fish is in the oven, heat up some coconut oil and garlic in a saute pan. Add the beans and cook until the beans are hot and slightly crispy. Toss in way more spinach than you think you’ll need and saute until the spinach has wilted down to a delicious level.
Remove the salmon and serve up the beans and spinach. You can eat the salmon and spinach alone or add in some rice, which we did to beef up the meal for the kiddos. Overall, it’s an easy dish and is ready in about 20 minutes!
Lemon Pepper Salmon with Sauteed Spinach and Beans
For the salmon:
- 4 salmon filets
- lemon pepper seasoning
- coconut oil
For the spinach dish
- 1 can of white beans
- 1 bag of baby spinach
- 1-2 tsp minced garlic
- coconut oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. On the stove, preheat a skillet. Pat the salmon dry and season well.
- Melt some coconut oil in your skillet. When hot, add the salmon – skin side down – and cook until skin is crisp. Place in oven and cook until salmon is done
- Melt some coconut oil in a saute pan and add in your minced garlic. Heat for a few minutes
- Add in beans and saute until slightly crispy. Be careful not to smooch your beans when turning them
- Add in spinach and cook until soft and wilted. Remove from heat immediately
- Serve salmon with spinach and beans saute and rice if desired
Have you ever combined beans and salmon? This was new for us but it won’t be the last time!