This post contains affiliate links, I receive a small commission if you make a purchase but the cost is the same to you.
Tomorrow is National Pizza Day! Eating a gluten free pizza can be tricky. I have previously blogged about trying 2 different types of dough but to be honest, I usually just buy a gluten free pizza crust kit. But my dad recently gifted me some almond flour and so we decided to make another pizza using it. But not just any pizza, I wanted something unique (for me). I usually am anti-fruit on pizza but we decided on BBQ Chicken and Pineapple for our flavor so I went with it.
First up, you need to cook your chicken. I used my instant pot of course and I got this seasoning blend and it is amazing for chicken. And vegetables. Put it in on your chicken and set the pot to 20 minutes. Now you can make your dough.
The recipe is easy: 2 cups, 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons melted butter, some salt, and water if needed. You want the dough to be sticky but not too sticky. I had to add water but I don’t know if that’s because Colorado is dry or what? Use your best judgement and add a little at a time. Then put it in between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll out until it’s the desired thickness. You will then pre-bake it for 15 minutes.
Before you pre-bake it, poke it with a fork several times so it doesn’t get all puffy while it cooks. While it’s cooking, gather the toppings. For the pizza sauce, I used Sweet Baby Ray’s which is my favorite BBQ sauce. You also need some finely diced red onion, cheddar cheese, your chicken – shredded, and a can of cubed pineapples. After it was pre-baked, spread the BBQ sauce on it and then top it with the rest in whatever order you want.
BBQ Chicken and Pineapple Pizza – Gluten Free
- 3 chicken thighs
- 2 Tbs seasoning blend
- BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1-2 cups shredded cheddar
- 1 small can of pineapple chunks
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbs butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Water as needed
- Place chicken and seasonings in a pressure cooker for 20 mins. Pre-heat oven for 350 degrees
- Mix all dough ingredients and combine until well blended. If dough isn’t stuck together, slowly add water until a ball forms
- Place between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll until desired thickness
- Pre-bake dough for 15 minutes. Shred chicken and dice onion
- Spread the BBQ sauce around like you would pizza sauce and top pizza as desired
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until cheese is bubbly and crust is darkened
- Serve immediately
So, are you celebrating National Pizza Day? What’s your favorite way to top a pizza?