Okay y’all, are you ready for a twist on a classic? During Whole30, you eat a lot of sweet potatoes. So many sweet potatoes. One recipe we made was a sweet potato shepherd’s pie and it is so good, we’ve made it quite a few times since finishing our Whole30 round. And now, I am sharing it with you because if you need a good recipe for a cold day, this is for you!
First you will to get a few things ready. Put 3 or 4 (depending on their size) sweet potatoes in your Instant Pot on the wire rack with a cup of water in the bottom. Turn it on to 22 minutes and get ready to cup up your vegetables. Chop an onion and mince a few pieces of garlic. Then, you saute them in some oil. After a couple minutes, add your ground beef and seasonings. Once brown, add a bag of frozen mixed vegetables and stir to combine. Add in a cup of beef broth and simmer until heated through.
While your beef mixture is heating up, open up your Instant Pot and get ready to make some mashed sweet potatoes. Remove the skins and whip them with a little milk. Take your beef mixture and put it in the bottom of a casserole dish. Top it with your mashed sweet potatoes and get ready to bake it.
Bake it for 20-30 minutes until the top is crispy and slightly browned. Let the sweet potato shepherd’s pie sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- 3-4 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground beef – I use chuck
- 1 Tbs Italian Blend Seasoning
- 1 Tbs salt
- 1 Tbs pepper
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place your sweet potatoes in your Instant Pot with some water and cook for 22 minutes. Leave it alone until step 5
- Heat some oil in a pan and saute the onion and garlic
- Add the beef and seasoning and brown the beef
- Add in the mixed vegetables and beef broth, simmer until warmed through
- Peel your sweet potatoes and blend with 1/2 milk to make mashed sweet potatoes
- Fill a casserole dish 2/3 the way through with your beef mixture
- Spread mashed sweet potatoes across the top of your beef mixture and bake for 20-30 minutes
- Let the casserole rest for 5 minutes prior to serving
Do you like shepherd’s pie? What’s your favorite way to serve it?