I love fried shrimp. Who doesn’t? But since I’ve had to stop eating gluten, I’ve been missing it. Hubs created an amazing fried shrimp recipe and has decided that it’s okay to share it with the world so here we are. The best part about this recipe is that it doesn’t use the overly-expensive gluten free bread crumbs! Shrimp is expensive enough. 😛
For the breading, we use Rice Chex cereal and a couple tablespoons of gluten free flour. Mix the two in a food processor and then get ready to coat the shrimp. We create an egg wash with a couple eggs and some milk. After you soak the shrimp, coat them in the breading and let them rest for a couple minutes before frying them. I like to use peanut oil but you can use the oil of your choice.
Since we have the oil going, we also decided to make some fresh French fries. Simply cut up a potato, soak in water for 15 minutes, and then fry. Can’t beat the freshness of those fries!
So, do you want to make some fried shrimp? Here’s the recipe:
- 1 cup Rice Chex cereal
- 2 tablespoons gluten free flour
- 1 bag colossal shrimp, if they’re not already cleaned and peeled with the tail off, do that before cooking them
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- peanut oil for frying
- Combine cereal and flour in a food processor and blend until smooth
- Mix eggs and milk in a bowl and place the breading in another bowl. Prepare the shrimp for dredging
- Soak shrimp in egg wash for 2-3 minutes and then thoroughly coat in the breading. Let shrimp sit for 5 minutes before frying
- Fry in peanut oil until cooked through
I hope you try and love these shrimp as much as I do. I literally want my husband to make these for me every week!