I have previously blogged about this recipe before. And I still love it. The only problem is, canned condensed cream of mushroom soup has gluten in it. Of course. Everything delicious does. After looking online for a gluten free cream of mushroom replacement recipe, I finally found one. The hardest part was finding a recipe for the condensed soup since the original recipe calls for just the can of soup. This recipe is not only easy to make, it’s delicious and served as the base for my favorite meal. I actually think it was better. Homemade is always better the processed, at least I think so anyway.
Once you make the soup, the rest of the recipe is dump and simmer. I put the soup into a shallow pan and added 4 frozen chicken thighs, some freshly sliced mushrooms, and a couple squirts of lemon juice. That’s it. Cook up some rice and serve once the chicken is cooked. It’s that easy. The recipe in detail is below.
- 1 batch of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 4 frozen chicken thighs or breasts
- 1-2 cups of sliced mushrooms (I just used whatever was leftover from the carton after making the soup)
- 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make a batch of the cream of mushroom soup
- Once the soup is done, move it to a shallow pan and add the chicken, mushrooms, lemon juice, salt, and pepper
- Simmer until soup thickens and chicken is cooked all the way through – 20-30 minutes
- Serve over rice
There you have it! A favorite childhood recipe, successfully transformed into a gluten free, celiac friendly meal. I hope to try and succeed with other favorites in the future. Do you have a favorite gluten free recipe?