Spring is upon us! It’s time for BBQs and other warm weather treats. Right? Well, according to my friends on Twitter there is still snow in some parts of the country. A lot of not so warm weather seems to be happening. The other day it was overcast and rainy here and I decided to whip up some chunky vegetable soup. It was a nice and cozy bowl of soup and if it’s still chilly where you are, this is the recipe for you!
For the soup, all you need is head of cauliflower, some celery, and some carrots. I also used chicken broth to help cook down the vegetables.
Once the vegetables were tender to the fork, I blended them into a smooth puree. I had a lot of soup so I needed to do it in 2 batches. While the vegetables were cooking, I chopped up 2 russet potatoes. I cooked the potatoes in the puree with a little more chicken broth. I also seasoned the soup using salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. While the soup is simmering, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and get ready to cook your bacon.
Cover a cookie tray with some parchment paper and then place a cooling rack onto the sheet. Place bacon on the sheet and bake it in the oven until it’s as done as you like your bacon. I cooked mine until it was very crispy since I’m using it to top my soup. To quickly chop the bacon, I like to use a pair of kitchen scissors. Once the potatoes are cooked, your soup is ready. Serve it with the bacon and some shredded cheese and enjoy that hug in a bowl.
Vegetable Soup with Bacon
- 1 head of cauliflower,chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups chicken broth
- To your taste: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
- 1-2 small russet potatoes, chopped
- 4-5 slices of bacon
- shredded cheese
- Place your cauliflower, celery, and carrots in a pot with 1 cup of chicken broth. Cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Blend the softened vegetables until smooth and return to the pot. Add the chopped potatoes, 1 cup of chicken broth, and your seasonings. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked. While this is happening, preheat your oven and prepare your bacon sheet.
- Cook your bacon as desired and crumble.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, serve your soup with bacon and shredded cheese.
Here is one of our favorite vegetable soups, what’s one of your favorites?