This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FrozenFromScratch#CollectiveBias
Fun fact, Hubs LOVES the Chinese Zodiac. He was born in the Year of the Rat and is constantly jealous of my Tiger (Piglet is a Tiger too). Blueberry is a Dragon and Mac is the Sheep. Mac’s year is ending and soon we will be in the Year of the Monkey. Hubs was actually in Asia for the New Year last year and has since decided that we should celebrate it too. I decided the star of the meal would be Pagoda Express Eggrolls with a Chinese Chicken Salad and Fried Rice dish on the side. I got Pagoda Express Chicken and Pork Eggrolls in 4 packs from the frozen section at Walmart.
I love these Eggrolls because they come individually wrapped so you can cook what you need for the meal and the rest are still sealed up nicely. The sweet chili sauce is also portioned out too which is so convenient.
So, let’s get down the the recipes. I’m sharing 2 with you today and the first one is a Chinese Chicken Salad.
This is a cold salad. Cooking the chicken ahead of time will give it time to cool down before you make the salad. I cook it in chicken broth and then shred it. While it’s cooling, I chop my cabbage, carrots, and prepare the dressing. Once it’s all prepared, mix it together and get to eating! You can save the almonds and crunchy noodles for individual portions so they stay crisp.
What You Need For the Salad:
- 1 head of Chinese cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cups vertically sliced carrots
- 2-3 tablespoons of green onions
- 2-3 cups shredded chicken breast
- sliced almonds & crunchy noodles to taste
For the Dressing:
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
What You Do:
- Mix vegetables and chicken together in a bowl
- Whisk dressing ingreidents together and combine with salad
- Top each portion with sliced almonds and crunchy noodles
Next up: fried rice. The secret to my rice is to use short-grain rice and sesame oil. As soon as you open a bottle of sesame oil, your whole kitchen will just smell authentic. Sure, you could use any oil for frying but sesame oil is key. I also make my rice ahead of time so it has time to rest. You can put any vegetables in but I like carrots and peas. The only seasoning you need is soy sauce. It’s the easiest recipe ever.
What You Need:
- 2 cups cooked short-grain white rice
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup peas
- 3-4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
Here’s What You Do:
- Cook your rice, let it rest for at least an hour
- Heat your sesame oil in a pan, once the aroma releases, add the rice
- Add your soy sauce and mix throughout the rice. Add the vegetables and fry the rice
- You want your rice crisp and your vegetables soft. It should take 5-7 minutes
There you have it. Two easy sides for your Pagoda Express Eggrolls. When you buy them at Walmart, be sure to use Ibotta and earn 50 cents when you buy 2! Do you celebrate Chinese New Year? I’d love to hear your traditions!