As you read this – I am assuming you’re reading this the moment it was published 😛 – I am crossing the starting line of my very first marathon. Not even 7 months postpartum and I decided “yeah, a marathon, that’ll be so cool.” Okay, it’s also on my bucket list and I got the tickets last year when it was open just for the local peeps, $25. Not even a dollar a mile. I can do this. I got this. Let’s go!
Since it’s my first, I curated some must-have items that I can’t live without for 26.2 miles. Are you thinking of running your own marathon? Here’s what helped me train and what I took on my marathon.
1. A GPS Watch. I have an Apple Watch. It tracks distance, heart rate, and calories. I originally was going to get a Garmin but that was $50 more than the Apple Watch and the Apple Watch does more.
2. Cell Phone and Earbuds: load it with music and podcasts. I also have an audio book on hand. Apple Radio will keep me entertained for when I need a podcast break.
3. Well-worn Shoes. The day before a marathon is not the day to get new shoes. I’ve been wearing these Brooks ones for about 5 weeks. They’re nice and comfortable and broken in, but not worn out.
4. A Visor. Or hat. But since I have hair that goes in a ponytail while I work out (how do people run with their hair down? The world may never know), the visor works great. It’s sunny in Hawaii. It’s mandatory for me, especially since I hate working out in sunglasses. Bonus, it helps absorb sweat!
5. A Source of Water. I did a half marathon when I first got here and didn’t have a cup or water bottle or anything, it was miserable. So, I got a CamelBak. It also has tons of pockets to hold snacks, my phone, keys, whatever.
I also thought long and hard about what to wear. I ultimately decided on an Under Armour short-sleeved shirt and workout capris. I was not blessed with a thigh gap and 26.2 miles of potential chaffing sounds miserable. Hopefully the capris help a girl out.
So, I’ll have a recap in a few days of my actual race You can follow me on Twitter, as I’m sure I’ll have some updates. Have you done a marathon? What is your number one must have item for races?