With this being our third baby, you would think I either know what to buy or I have it already.
You would be wrong.
I know we have a couple boxes of clothes in the garage but I don’t know if those were closed saved for hand-me-downs or sentimental-never-worn-again clothes. Half a Blueberry’s dresser is full of onesies and other clothes she outgrew so, dresses. I’m all for letting kids be kids, but Macadamia Nut doesn’t need to start his life in girl clothes.
Here’s what I do know, my MUST HAVE baby items are:
1. Bassinet – both kids spent the first 2-3 months in our room, until they were sleeping through the night and we had a routine down so we’ll be doing the same with this one. We still have the same bassinet, it just needs to be cleaned.
2. Boppy – nursing pillow. Already have, needs to be washed.
3. Clothes – 0-3 month sleepers, onesies, sleep sacks. I have some sleep sacks (some are pink but that’s okay). Everything else? Probably need to buy some.
4. Car Seat – still need to buy, our carrier is expired and I want to start with a convertible from the jump. We outgrew the carrier by 10 months – I have long children – so I don’t want to bother buying one.
5. Sling Carrier – still need to pick one and buy one.
6. Breast Pump – still need to buy, hoping TRICARE will help with that one.
7. Bottles & Binkies – the bottles we have need new nipples and we need some new binkies but those are both easy.
8. Stroller – our jogging stroller recently bit the dust so we need to get a new one. Doesn’t have to be jogging but it would be preferable.
9. Swing – already own, need to clean.
10. Diapers – size 1 because duh.
11. Receiving/Swaddlers – every kid deserves their own special blankets.
12. Burp Cloths – I have tons still.
So, there’s that. 11 things and we own most of the big stuff. What’s missing from all those other “Must Have” lists for newborns? A lot. Honestly, you don’t need most of that stuff. I bought a pack-n-play because everyone said you needed it, it’s barely used. I’ll probably sell it before we move. Baby towels and baby washcloths? Pointless. There’s no difference between your towel and a baby towel except size and I just don’t have it in me to do extra laundry.
Do you think I missed anything? Would you want more? Less?