One of the things Hubs likes about this time of year is peppermint ice cream. Now, I’ve never had it but I’ve seen it in stores. In Hawaii, if you see something, you have to buy it because it probably won’t be there next time you go. Well, it happened to us and so Hubs was sad.
But then I remembered we have the ice cream attachment to my KitchenAid mixer and so we decided to make our own. If you have an ice cream maker, you can totally do this. And it’s yummier than the store-bought stuff. Well, I think it looks yummier anyway because it’s not that fake pink color.
Here’s what you need:
– 2 eggs
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 2 3/4 cups half and half
– 1 cup heavy cream or whipping cream
– 1 tablespoon pure peppermint extract
– crushed peppermint candies (as many as you want)
Here’s what you do:
1. Blend eggs and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add the half and half, whipping cream, and peppermint extract. Blend until smooth.
2. Put it in your ice cream maker of choice and turn freeze.
3. Once frozen, fold in the candies. The KitchenAid mixer makes soft serve at first so if you want a stiffer scoop (like in the picture) freeze in an airtight container overnight.
4. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
I hope you enjoy the ice cream and it makes you feel a little more wintery! It helps here when it’s 80 degrees outside and sunny.
What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?