We’ve been trying to eat better for a few months now and I thought I would share how it’s going and what we’ve learned. Trying to go clean after a lifetime of eating dirty has it’s challenges but like all good things, it’s worth the effort.
Most of the time.
1. Vegetables are filling: on days where we just eat a protein and some sort of vegetable dish, I find myself fuller for a longer period of time. I even find myself getting full even before I finish my meal. The other day, I made some cheesy noodles and I ate probably half the box. It just would not fill me up. Even lunches are better with a piece of chicken on a bed of lettuce and other veggies.
2. Salad Dressing: speaking of salad, I am a ranch girl. I love it. Pizza, French fries, chicken nuggets, baby carrots, you name it. But ranch is quite expensive in the calorie world so I’ve been trying to cut down. Do you know what’s good? A little olive oil and some salt. Bam! That’s it.
3. Peanut butter: it’s your best friend. Eat it on baby carrots or celery sticks. It probably has the same caloric count as ranch dressing but with more protein and less fat, it’s a better choice. And if you make it homemade, it’s delicious
4. Coconut Oil: here was a mistake. All The Things on Pinterest, Facebook, and the internet in general boasted about how great coconut oil is for you when cooking. And how it should replace butter, olive oil, canola oil, any other oil you can think of. It’s a miracle in a jar. Now, some of you may have fallen into the jar and eaten your way out but for us – no thanks. It’s flavorless so using is sauté is a no-go. You can’t pan fry food in it. I cook with butter and you simply cannot substitute coconut oil for it. Blech. So, now I have a jar in my cabinet. You live, you learn.
5. Junk food: yes, fruits and vegetables are a better snack choice and keeping them on hand, ready and prepared is the best but you know what? You do not have to deprive yourself of potato chips. If you take the time to read what a serving size is and measure it out, there is no reason why you shouldn’t have some. I am all about eating EVERYTHING but eating it in moderation. Serving sizes are there for a reason. You’ll be able to control your caloric intake and that bag of Lays will last a whole lot longer if you only eat 1 serving size at a time.
What food changes have you found on your journey to eating better? Do you agree with me or am I just crazy?