Our 4 year anniversary is today and I have been brainstorming date night ideas. Living in Hawaii means that even a trip for 2 to Ruby Tuesday can be nearly $60. Now, I love my husband and I love date night but if the meal costs $60, and then we go to a movie too, it’ll be like $120 when it’s all said and done. Plus we have to pay the sitter? What? No way! So, I thought of 10 date night ideas that will keep the spark alive without breaking the bank.
1. Have a movie night at home: with all the streaming capabilities, it’s so easy to watch a fairly new movie from the comfort of your own couch. Pick a movie that you’ve been dying to see, pop up some popcorn, and cuddle up. There’s only 1 rule: no electronics. Keep the laptops, cell phones, tablets, etc. in another room. Date night is for you and your man.
2. Paint together: Hubs and I do this once a month. In an effort to create hobbies together, we started doing monthly paintings. All you need is to buy a canvas and some paint. We have all the supplies on hand and once a month, we set up the supplies and get to work. It is fun to see what we both come up with and you can make some great art for your house!
3. Bake Together: nothing is more satisfying that eating a delicious cupcake or sugar cookie. It’s even sweeter when you can make those treats with your loved one. Traditionally, I do the cooking and baking but it is always fun to get together and make up some sort of tasty dessert. Sugar cookies are a favorite in our house because we get to pick shapes, cut the out, pick out frosting colors, and decorate. It only takes about an hour or two but it’s the little dates that add up.
4. Eat a Special Meal after the Kids are in Bed: most nights, we eat a meal that I am fairly sure everyone will eat, adults and kids alike. But sometimes, we want something a little more special so when we feed the kids dinner, we eat a little snack and then after we put them bed (early ;)) we eat our special meal. Usually, its fondue and it’s always delicious.
5. Picnic: can’t get away from the kids? No problem. Make up some sandwiches and head to a park or beach. Let the kids go crazy while you eat or play with them and then eat together. Dates don’t have to be just you and your hubby! Bonus: you can wear your kiddo out so they’ll sleep when you get home and then you can have some alone time.
|my custom card|
6. Special Gift: dates don’t have to take a lot of time, sometimes they can just be a nice gesture for your man. One way to do that is surprise them with a card or candy or flowers. But don’t just get any store card! You can use Treat.com and make a custom card, add your own pictures, words, poem, whatever! I use the app and then use any picture you have on your phone. It’s super convenient. And if your spouse is out of town, they can mail the card for you!
7. Movies: I know, I know, movies aren’t cheap – all the time. Look around for dollar movie nights or free shows on base. Even if the dollar movie night seems like something cheesy, do it anyway! It’s a dollar and who knows? It could be really good. And if not, you’ll always have something to joke about.
8. Dollar Day: Give each other $5 and buy 5 things at the dollar store. Pick a theme and chose 5 things to enjoy at home, a park, a road trip, whatever! Chose some lotions, some bubble bath, soap, etc. and have a spa day. Pick a theme and go nuts!
9. Ice Cream: With the weather warming up, eating ice cream is an obvious idea. Head on over to Sonic, Dairy Queen, Coldstone, wherever and get a sundae. Or go old-fashioned and get a milkshake – with 2 straws.
10. Romantic Time: Pick up some candles, some scented oils, turn on some low music, turn off the phones and spend time with each other. Chances are you probably have those already on hand so this is a freebie. Sometimes the best date is just being with each other.
I hope some of these ideas help you keep your dating life going without sending you to bankruptcy court. 😉